Avocado Lime Soup
This fresh, southwestern-themed avocado soup has a nice blend of healthy fats and complex carbs. Moderate the amount of jalapeños or chili powder to control spice level. Substitute veggie chicken strips for 8 ounces of skinless, boneless chicken cut into strips to make this meal gluten free.
Makes 4 servings. Total preparation time: 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook celery, carrots, onion, garlic, oregano and jalapeños in 1/4 cup water for 7-8 minutes until tender. Stir in veggie chicken, water, lime juice, canned fire-roasted tomato, salt and pepper. Gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add quinoa and kale then simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in avocado and cilantro and heat through. Adjust seasonings.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with tortilla strips to serve.
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced or 1 cup julienned carrots
2 fresh jalapeño peppers, finely diced or 1 poblano pepper, finely diced
2 cups veggie chicken strips, diced
1 quart water or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
1 16 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1 can hominy
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 cups diced kale
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy tortilla soup base and add frozen carrots, canned hominy, canned diced tomatoes and diced avocados. Serve with lime wedges, fresh cilantro and bean chips for authentic flavor. Enjoy!