Beef and Mushroom Bourguinon
This rich, luxurious dish is a healthier take on the iconic French classic. Lean beef is a good source of linoleic omega-6 fats, which can’t be made by the body and need to be supplemented in a healthy, balanced diet.
Makes 8 servings. Total preparation time: 3 hours and 20 minutes.
1. Brown beef cubes in medium saucepan with olive oil. Place browned beef cubes in crockpot.
2. Add diced onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrot, celery, and 2 tablespoons water to saucepan and cook for 7 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, thyme and rosemary. Season vegetables and meat with salt and pepper. Add uncooked lentils and quinoa to crockpot. Pour vegetables on top.
4. Add vegetable broth and wine, and mix well. Add bay leaf and pearl onions. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or cook on low for 8-10 hours, overnight.
5. Before serving, add veggie beef tips and warm through. Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Per serving: 372 calories, 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 321mg potassium, 21g total carbohydrate, 8g dietary fiber, 39g protein
1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy mushroom lentil soup. Brown beef chunks and add to slow cooker. Top with frozen diced carrots, Italian herbs, wine and cook on high for 3 hours or low overnight. Serve with cooked quinoa and diced herbs on top to complete your meal. Enjoy!