Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Add vegetables to a comfort food favorite! Pleasantly paired with our Honey Date Balsamic Dressing, this lunch or dinner recipe is a great way to pack in extra servings of vegetables.
Makes 4 servings. Total preparation time: 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill or oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare vegetables by cutting bell peppers, zucchini and mushrooms lengthwise into 1/2 inch planks. Cut onion crosswise into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Wash and cut bottom ends off asparagus.
- Brush vegetables evenly with1/4 cup olive oil and season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt) and pepper to taste.
- Grill vegetables or bake until tender and caramelized, 18 to 20 minutes (move vegetables as needed to ensure even cooking). Transfer vegetables to platter. Whisk Honey Balsamic Dressing and pour over vegetables.
- Brush bread slices with olive oil and toast on a pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Flip bread and lay cheese on top of one slice, on the other slice, spread Dijon mustard and top with1/2 cup spinach greens and toast for 5 minutes more.
- To serve, build into sandwich and enjoy!
1 bunch asparagus
2 red bell peppers
2 medium zucchini
1 large red onion
4 portabella mushrooms
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
kosher salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup Honey Balsamic Dressing
4 slices cheddar cheese
4-8 slices sprouted grain bread
1 cup baby spinach greens
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy frozen roasted vegetables. Warm and toss with balsamic vinaigrette. Toast bread with cheese on top of one slice and Dijon mustard on opposite slice (optional). Top with 1/2 cup spinach greens and toast to melt cheese and wilt greens. Add roasted vegetables with vinaigrette on top then make sandwich. Enjoy!