A healthy take on the classic Spanish omelet, this dish uses less cooking oil and healthy Egg Beaters for a low-fat,
low-cholesterol version. Red bell peppers are packed with beta-carotene and free radical-fighting antioxidants.
Serve warm or at room temperature for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner with a mixed baby green salad.
Makes 4 servings. Total preparation time: 20 minutes.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet. Add onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes with 2 tablespoons of water, cover and cook on medium-low for 5 minutes.
2. Add spinach and red bell peppers. Cook until spinach is wilted and add optional spices if desired. Pour contents into a bowl.
3. In blender, purée silken tofu, Egg Beaters, cornstarch, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour contents in bowl and fold to combine. Add peas.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over high heat and pour bowl contents into the hot pan and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and loosen edges with a spatula.
5. Slide torta onto a plate, cover with pan and flip torta back into the skillet. Cook for another 5 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve as an appetizer with fresh aioli or over baby greens.
Per serving: 342 calories, 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 619mg potassium,
40g total carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 14g protein
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided1 small onion, diced 2 cups diced frozen potatoes, white or red 1 cup baby spinach 1⁄2 cup peas, red bell peppers, diced, or roasted green chilies 1 teaspoon salt 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper 1⁄2 cup silken tofu, puréed 1 cup Egg Beaters or 4 eggs 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric and 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika, or 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, optional
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy a frozen Spanish Tortilla Espanola or Spanish Omelet. Heat and serve over baby spinach and frozen peas. Top with a sprinkling of turmeric and chili powder for extra flavor. Enjoy!