Spinach Artichoke Strata Cups
Tasty, bite-sized artichoke cups that look great on party platters or picnic blankets.
Makes 6 servings. Total preparation time: 40 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Toast bread in toaster and dice into 1″ cubes. Toss with 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sautée shallots until fragrant and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, then add artichoke and spinach with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Brush 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Arrange half the bread slices in single layer in dish. Sprinkle half of spinach, mushroom, artichoke mixture, then 1/2 cup grated cheese evenly over bread slices. Arrange remaining bread slices in single layer over cheese, sprinkling remaining spinach mixture and another 1/2 cup cheese evenly over this layer.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl until combined. Whisk eggs into soy milk creamer, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread layers.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over surface then bake until both edges and center are puffed and edges have pulled away slightly from sides of dish, about 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes then serve.
- Wrap and store leftovers until ready to eat. Uncover and warm as needed. Keeps for seven days if refrigerated or three months frozen.
6 slices whole grain bread, toasted
5 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
4 medium shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup artichoke hearts, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup grated vegan rice cheese
6 omega-3 eggs
1 3/4 cups soy milk creamer, or almond milk
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy frozen spinach artichoke sandwich. Heat up and eat with baby carrots and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!