Strawberry Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting
This luscious dessert is perfect for a special occasion! The phytonutrients in strawberries help reduce blood glucose levels after a starchy meal. Plus, the addition of beets can protect against heart disease. It’s healthy indulgence at its best!
Makes 12 servings. Total preparation time: 25 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line 12 muffin tins, or grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar and baking soda. In another bowl, mix vanilla extract, oil and vinegar.
3. Purée the strawberries and beets in a blender. Add the puréed mixture to the oil mixture and stir to combine.
4. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir gently.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake the cupcakes for about 17-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If baking in a cake pan, bake for 35-40 minutes and check for doneness.
6. While baking, prepare frosting. Cream together butter substitute, cream cheese substitute and vanilla extract until well combined. Whip with a mixer whisking in powdered sugar 1⁄2 cup at a time until smooth and creamy.
7. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. When cool, frost and garnish with whole strawberries if desired.
Per serving: 298 calories, 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 54g total carbohydrate, 2.2g dietary fiber, 39g sugar, 2.8g protein
1 cup unbleached flour
1⁄2 cup softened Earth Balance butter substitute