Tarragon Chicken Potpie
Our heart-healthy recipe uses low-cholesterol chicken breasts that pair marvelously with tarragon, a pungent herb that contains compounds known to help lower blood glucose levels. This warm comfort dish is filling and scrumptious!
This recipe is gluten-free if using gluten-free organic frozen pie crust.
Makes 4 servings. Total preparation time: 45 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium saucepan, boil 4 cups of water, add chicken breast and boil until it floats, 12-15 minutes. Remove immediately to cool and set aside chicken broth.
2. Sauté onions in a large wok or Dutch oven with 1 tablespoon butter substitute. Add shallot, carrot, celery and dried tarragon to pan to combine flavors. Cook with 2 tablespoons water for 12 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender.
3. In a skillet, steam-sauté kale in 1/2 tablespoon of water until wilted, about 1 minute or less, then add to pot of vegetables. Stir in cooked quinoa and frozen peas. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In small saucepan, melt 2 remaining tablespoons of butter substitute and whisk in cornstarch. Slowly add 1 cup chicken broth and cook until thickened.
5. Whisk in soy creamer and cook until thickened. Depending on consistency, add more chicken broth if too thick. Pour sauce over vegetables and fold in diced chicken and diced veggie chicken strips.
6. Pour into square 9×13-inch pan and cover with sheets of phyllo dough. Fold and push dough to fit pan; no need to trim. Fold and wrinkle on top for a fancy look.
7. Bake for 20 minutes until phyllo is golden. Serve warm over wilted spinach and brown rice.
Per serving: 247 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 210mg potassium, 23g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 11g protein
1 medium onion, diced, or 1 leek, sliced (white part only)
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy frozen Healthy Choice chicken pot pie. Serve over wilted spinach greens with cooked brown rice quinoa. Enjoy!