Thai Coconut-Lime Vegetable Soup
This savory recipe is adapted from a classic comfort soup in Thailand. The creamy broth is enriched with coconut milk and loaded with good fats. Coconut milk is rich with manganese, an essential mineral that helps with carbohydrate and fat breakdown. Serve this to your family for a fast, deep-flavored weekday meal.
Makes 4 servings. Total preparation time: 25 minutes.
- In large pot, sauté shallots on low heat with olive oil for 3 minutes. Add celery and carrots. Cook for eight minutes or until tender.
- Add jalapenos, ginger, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, vegetable stock and honey. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add kale, snap peas, fish sauce and tofu. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cilantro and lime juice and serve.
Per serving: 150 calories, 12g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 211mg potassium, 11g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 5g protein
Preparation with Salmon
Ingredients: 3/4 lb. wild salmon
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Pat salmon dry with paper towels and rub oil, salt and pepper to season flesh side of fish.
- Heat oil in 12-inch oven-safe, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Place salmon, flesh side down, in skillet and cook until well browned, about 1 minute. Using tongs, carefully flip salmon and cook on skin side for 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and transfer to oven and cook until center of thickest part of fillet registers 125 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 7-10 minutes.
- Serve with soup and enjoy!
1 tablespoon olive oil
We realize that you may not always have the time to cook meals from scratch, and that a quick and easy substitution may be needed. We always recommend cooking the real thing, but in a pinch you can try this instead:
Buy low-sodium canned Thai coconut vegetable soup. Add frozen edamame, spinach and frozen salmon. Top with cherry tomatoes. Serve with fresh cilantro and lime for bolder Thai flavors. Enjoy!